Welcome to the City of San Marino's Virtual Recreation and Resource Center! We are proud to present this site for your use during these wild and difficult times. We are fully committed to enhancing your quality of life and improving your health while also having extraordinary experiences. Our Virtual Recreation Center will bring many programs and resources right to your fingertips for you and your loved ones to enjoy with the hope of making it easier for you to prioritize your health and well-being.
Do you have any ideas or resources that you would like to share? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM AND FACEBOOK!
VIRTUAL RECREATION GUIDE WEEK OF 7/6-7/10
Please visit us weekly to see new Virtual Recreation Guide offerings provided by the Community Service Department.
ACTIVE MILITARY BANNER PROGRAM
The City of San Marino will once again honor community members who are actively serving in the U.S. Armed Forces or attending a military academy by proudly displaying personalized street banners on poles throughout the center of town from early September through early November. Banners will be printed for new qualified applicants. Pending annual verification with a completed application, banners will then be on display yearly while the service person is on active duty or attending a military academy.
Military Banner Aplication
La County Recreational Resources
Parks From Home Webpage: http://parks.lacounty.gov/virtual
La County Parks on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/lacountyparks
san marino enrichment class favorites
Brit-West Soccer - Free livestream available
Voors Theater Arts with Ms. Joanne - Free livestream available or Voors Theater Webpage for virtual activities
Professor Egghead Science Academy - Free videos available
Junior Chef University - Free livestream available
Coach Andy's Assist Athletics - Sports Blitz at Home Classes
fun & fitness resources
You may have found yourself watching a little too much TV lately and maybe you're feeling a bit sluggish. Well now is your opportunity to do some spring cleaning or address that chore you've been putting off since December! A little chore here and there can amount to some nice cardio sessions to help burn off those extra calories. Need more ideas for staying active? Click on the links below:
- Do Yoga with Me - Free yoga videos for all ages
- GoNoodle - Movement and Mindfulness Videos
- Cosmic Kids Yoga - Kid friendly yoga videos
- 87 Energy-Busting Indoor Games & Activities
- Fitness Blender - Variety of free fitness videos
- Nike Training Club - App filled with free fitness videos
- Fluency and Fitness - Educational brain breaks to help students review essential literacy and math skills, while getting in some exercise
- The OT Tool Box - At home OT, PT, and ST resources designed to build skills in children through movement and play
Although we are physically distanced from each other the wonderful thing about technology is you can connect with each other digitally! So remember to connect with others by doing any of the following activities:
- Call or video chat a friend or relative
- Write a letter
- Support a local restaurant that offers take out or delivery services
- Volunteer at a Food Bank or other organization that helps provides much-needed services to the community
- Take care of yourself, which can also entail talking with people you trust about your concerns or feelings
- Monterey Bay Aquarium - Head to the Aquarium through their live stream
- Virtual Museum Tours - Visit museums around the world through their virtual tours
- San Diego Zoo - Check our their live animal cams and videos
- Aquarium of the Pacific - A collection of webinars, live-cam footage, and classes for all ages
- Gardening - Guide to gardening for kids
- Smithsonian Zoos and Museums - Bring your child to the Smithsonian through their live videos
- PBS-At Home Learning - Free educational resources available
- Highlights Kids - Fun games, recipes, crafts & activities
- The Collections Podcast - Listen to a podcast produced by The Huntington Library, hosted by Huntington President Karen R. Lawrence
- Botanical Collections Tours - Locate and learn about thousands of flowers, plants, and trees held at The Huntington Library
- Daily Doodle lessons by Mo Willems
- FreeKidsCrafts - Lots of categories of ideas, templates, and print outs
- Crafts by Amanda - Free arts and crafts ideas
- Kids Think Design - Kids can explore careers in fashion design, graphic design, interior design, book design, film and theatre, and much more!
FUN "AT-HOME ACTIVITIES"
The San Marino Recreation Bingo card is here! How many activities can you check off during your Shelter-At-Home? Tag us on Instagram & Facebook showing which squares you accomplished! #sanmarinofunathome
While hangouts and play dates are out, bear hunts are in! Across the USA, and the world, neighbors are participating in “Bear Hunting”. Inspired by Michael Rosen’s 1989 children’s book “We’re Going on a Bear Hunt”, kids scavenger hunt for teddy bears during their social distance walks.
This turns bored kids into bear hunters on the lookout for cuddley critters and cutouts in the windows. Families can keep a tally of the bears found during their walks. Participation is easy, place a teddy bear in a street facing window for others to find on their social distancing walks. Share your favorite bear finds for friends to look out for on their bear hunt. Residents who don’t have a bear can create their own by printing one out or craft their own.
Also, there is a special Olympic bear in town just waiting to be seen! He is wearing a marathon t-shirt and a medal! If you are 10-years of age or younger and find our Olympic friend you will receive a very sweet surprise! Just call the Recreation Department at (626) 403-2200 and tell us the address of where you saw him. Once you let us know, you can claim your prize!
Have fun with an indoor scavenger hunt! Search your home for the items listed and see how many you can find. Do any items have a special meaning or story? Share that story with your family! Share a photo with friends that are social distancing. Tell them your story in a phone call or video chat. Take a picture with your collection and use #sanmarinorec #funathome.
- A favorite book
- A stuffed animal
- 4 things that are blue
- A favorite toy
- A favorite fruit
Every Friday during safer at home, build a fort in with your family. Tag us in your post and include #sanmarinorec #funathome.