YA Summer Volunteer Opportunities
- Sign up for the Summer Reading Club, and earn volunteer hours for every book review you complete.
- Log your book review(s) and other volunteer hours here
- Reviews submitted become the property of Crowell Library and may be used in future library publications and social media posts.
- Books that are 1-150 pages and/or a graphic novel/manga = 1 hour. 151–300+ pages = 2 hours. Maximum 10 hours.
- The review should be 300-400 characters.
- Please include this information about what you are reviewing: Title, Author, Year published, Number of pages.
- The review should be your original thoughts and feelings, not copied and pasted from another website or the book description on the jacket.
- Please tell us the book’s plot and what you thought of the book/characters/setting etc. Please be as specific as possible (without spoilers) and avoid vague language like “This book was interesting.” Tell us –why- it was interesting. If you hated it (that’s okay, you don’t have to love every book you review), -why- did you hate it?
- The review should contain age-appropriate language (no swearing, etc.)
- Remember, no spoilers!
Kindness Rocks (1 hour for every 4 original Kindness Rocks. Maximum 1 hour)
Paint rocks with inspiring messages for the library to hide around the community to spread kindness.
- Smooth rocks
- Paper, pencil, optional
- Acrylic paint
- Sponge brushes
- Paint pens
1. If you want, use a pencil to sketch out your design on paper.
2. Paint the top of the rock with a base coat of paint, any color you like.
3. When the base coat is dry, add a fun design, or write a positive note with one of the approved messages here:
Have a nice day
Trust the process
You are loved
Not all who wander are lost
Chase your dreams
Be the change
The world needs you
Here comes the sun
You are not alone
Don't give up
Intention over attention
Today is a gift
Keep it kind
You can do it
Spring into action
Be a rainbow in someone else's day
4. Allow the design to dry completely, and then seal the rock to protect the design.
5. Drop off your Kindness Rocks with a staff member at the Crowell Library Reference Desk, with your name and date.
6. Log your donation here
Watercolor Positivity Cards (1 hour for every 4 original Positivity Cards. Maximum 3 hours)
- White cardstock no bigger than 8”x5”
- Watercolor paint
- Paint pens or permanent markers
- Envelope to hold completed cards.
Conscious breathing is my anchor.
You are loved just for being who you are, just for existing.
The chance to love and be loved exists no matter where you are.
Courage starts with showing up and letting ourselves be seen.
Open you heart and drink in this glorious day.
Am I good enough? Yes I am.
The perfect moment is this one.
Who you are inside is what helps you make and do everything in life.
Your perspective is unique. It’s important and it counts.
Every day above Earth is a good day.
Nothing can dim the light that shines from within.
You must do the things you think you cannot do.
I’m better than I used to be. Better than I was yesterday. But hopefully not as good as I’ll be tomorrow.
I’m giving you permission to root for yourself and while you’re at it root for those around you, too.
We must accept finite disappointment but never lose infinite hope.
Embrace the glorious mess that you are.
The ultimate truth of who you are is not I am this or I am that, but I Am.
Gratitude is a celebration we are all invited to.
Nothing is impossible. The word itself says, “I’m possible!”
The only courage you ever need is the courage to fulfill the dreams of your own life.
Failure is just another way to learn how to do something right.
The emotion that can break you heart is sometimes the very one that heals it.
Your crown has been bought and paid for. Put it on your head and wear it.
Everything passes if you learn to hold things lightly.
Hold up your head! You were not made for failure, you were made for victory.
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.
4. Drop them off in an envelope with a staff member at the Crowell Library Reference Desk, and please put your name and date in the envelope.
5. Log your donation here
Color a Smile (10 minutes of volunteer work for each complete drawing. 1 drawing = 10 minutes 6 drawings = 60 minutes 12 drawings = 120 minutes, etc. Maximum 1 hour. Please note that Color a Smile will verify additional volunteer hours, but you must mail them and pay the postage yourself.)
1. Print a Free-Art or Color-In page from their website.
2. Color the page using crayons or markers (please NO GLITTER).
3. Sign the front of the drawing with your FIRST name and AGE (please NO DATES on any drawings)
4. Drop them off with a staff member at the Crowell Library Reference Desk.
5. Log your donation here
Still looking for volunteer opportunities? Check out VolunteerMatch