Crowell Public Library Timeline
(formerly the San Marino Public Library)
- 1913: Henry Huntington establishes San Marino; lends his Mayberry House (at Oak Knoll and Monterey Road) to serve as City Hall.
- 1915: Edna S. Rees (1883-1963) establishes a branch of the Los Angeles County Library in Mayberry House.
- 1920: Library moves into the new Valentine School.
- 1933: Library separates from County and sets up shop in what is now San Marino School District headquarters. Louise P. White (later Mrs. L.E. Blinkern, 1906-1993) is the library director, and Emily Daubney is the children’s librarian.
- 1949: The San Marino Public Library outgrows its facilities. A bond is passed to build a new structure on the “Hart Place” at Huntington and West drives.
- 1951: The new library, designed by Herbert J. Powell, opens in December. The library director is June Bayless. The children’s librarian is the legendary Beverly Saunders.
- 1956: Friends of the Library is formed.
- 1968: Saunders is named “California Librarian of the Year.”
- 1978: Proposition 13 results in drastic cuts in library services. The Friends of the Library steps in to help.
- 1997: Library Foundation is formed to raise capital to put card catalog online.
Library is connected to the Internet for the first time.
- 1998: Six computers are installed for public access to the Internet.
- 1999: Library air conditioning unit, installed in 1956, fails. Replacement parts must be hand-tooled.
- 2000: Heating pipe breaks, basement floods. Asbestos and mold contamination forces the book processing department upstairs.
- 2001-2004: Library applies three times for Proposition 14 money to rebuild library. It is rejected.
- 2005: The Crowell family donates millions of dollars to jumpstart construction.
- 2006: Construction begins on new library.
- January 26, 2008: The new building, renamed the Crowell Public Library opens, on time and on budget.