portions of San Marino were included in a Mexican Land Grant in 1830
to an Indian lady named Senora Victoria Reid, the widow of an
Englishman. She named her Rancho, Huerta de Cuati. Prior to this
grant , the area was part of the San Gabriel Mission (the "Old Mill"
was the grist mill for the Mission), and before that was occupied by
the Gabrielino Indians with their village located at what is now
In 1852, Mrs.
Reid deeded her Rancho to Don Benito Wilson. Later, Wilson deeded
the main portion to J. de Barth Shorb, who named his Rancho after
his grandfather's plantation in Maryland, which in turn had received
its name from the Republic of San Marino, in Italy.
The San Marino
Republic was named after a Dalmatian stone-cutter, by the name of
Marino, who fled nearly sixteen hundred years ago from his home on
the Dalmatian coast at the time of a Turkish invasion, and took
refuge among the rocky crags of Monte Titano, which commanded a view
of the Adriatic Sea. In 1085 A.D., the Monastery at Mt. Titano
canonized Marino and changed his name to San, which means Saint,
hence Saint or San Marino.
In 1903, the
Shorb Estate was purchased by Henry E. Huntington and in 1913 the
three primary Ranchos of Wilson, Patton, and Huntington, together
with the subdivided areas from those and smaller Ranchos, such as
Stoneman, White, Rose and others, were incorporated as the city of
The first mayor was general George S. Patton, Sr.
The San Marino
Seal contains the three summits of Mt. Titano, upon each of which
reposes a tower, fortified with walls built from native rock and
capped with a bronze plume, all surrounded by a heart-shaped scroll
with two roundels and a lozenge (of unknown significance) at the
top. Underneath the left side is a graceful palm frond and
underneath the right side, a branch from an orange tree. The crown
representing the monarchy on the original was removed
when the City’s Coat of Arms was redesigned by William Hertrich in
The first San
Marino school was opened at the corner of Monterey Road, (then
called Calle de Lopez) and Oak Knoll, in what was known as the Old
Mayberry Home, on September 9, 1917, with three teachers and
thirty-five pupils, grades kindergarten through the eighth. Our High
School students attended South Pasadena High until San Marino High
School graduated its first class in 1956. Our High School nickname,
"The Titans," comes from Mt. Titano, in the Republic of San Marino.